Kinetic Sculpture Race
Tick Tock the Croc, Photo by John Soulé, myimagez.com
Congrats to the 2014 Kinetic Grand Mediocre Champion: Tick Tock The Croc
Once again, our annual Kinetic Sculpture Race was without a doubt, a mega success! Before we get to work on cleaning the mud off Fifi and Bumpo, we wanted to take a minute to re-cap the day and shout-out some special thanks to the folks who we couldn't have done it without. This year's race was our sweet 16th annual east coast championship, and was held on Saturday, May 3, 2014. It featured 33 unique and outrageously wild human-powered vehicles, that traversed a very challenging 15 mile course over land, water, mud and sand. We estimate some of the largest crowds we've ever seen at the most popular spots, and this year we witnessed some of most jaw-dropping creative works of kinetic art, engineering and costumes by far. It was truly an astonishing exposition to behold!
Congratulations to the 2014 Grand Mediocre East Coast Champion, as well as the Art, People's Choice, and Marine Posse Favorite Award Winner: Tick Tock The Croc
And congrats to all the other 2014 Kinetic Award Winners too, including:
- Engineering: Fire
- Pilots' Choice: Good Dog
- Next to Last & Sock Creature of the Universe: Toyboxers
- Spirit of the Glorious Founder & Marine Posse Perseverance Award: Icing on the Cake
- Speed: Max's Rat Patrol
- Golden Dinosaur: Name Your Game
- Best Costumes: Swan Song of Betsy Patterson
- Best Pit Crew: Cornography
- Worst Honorable Mention: It's My Daddy's Beemer and I'll Cry if I Want To
- Golden Flipper: Doodle
- Best Bribes: Team 1-Up
- Judges Fill-in-the-Gap Award: Dog Park
- Sweet 16 Award: Halo
Finally, a big congrats to all the vehicles who participated in the race, and especially those who achieved ACE status! We'd like to thank our tireless staff – whose collective blood, sweat and tears go into every element of this race; our incredible team of 100+ Kinetic Volunteers – who dedicate a full day to dressing silly and doing very useful, but fun jobs; our generous sponsors; our not-too-judgmental Judges; our Kinetic historian Tom Jones, and his fearless Kinetic Baltimore photographers – who lovingly document the entire race for your viewing pleasure; all the rest of our photographers and media peeps who help shine a light on this wacky Baltimore tradition; and to our spectators, for coming out to cheer us on through thick and thin, and letting us make a completely authentic spectacle for you!
Next year's Kinetic Sculpture Race: Saturday, May 2, 2015!
As always, the race kicks off at 10am here at the American Visionary Art Museum. For more info on how to join the race, or learn about other ways that you can get involved, visit KineticBaltimore.com. For The Glory!
2014 Media Coverage:
Check out some of the great media coverage our 16th annual Kinetic Sculpture Race has gotten. Pretty sweet!
- Voice of America "Kinetic Sculpture Race Has Different Rules" by Deborah Block • watch
- WBAL TV 11 "Ingenuity, artistry celebrated at 16th Kinetic Sculpture Race" by Jennifer Franciotti • watch
- WJZ TV 13: Ron Matz interviews Team Jemicy @ AVAM • watch
- WBFF Fox 45 News: "Scores Turn Out for Kinetic Sculpture Race" • watch
- Baltimore Sun's Dark Room: photo coverage of the 2014 race • view
- Baltimore Guide story: "Kinetic Sculpture Race amazes, again" • read
- Photographer John Soulé covers the entire 2014 race • view
- Baltimore Sun story "One team, five years at AVAM's Kinetic Sculpture Race" • read
- Baltimore Magazine chats with AVAM's own Mother Theresa about the race • read
- Chevrolet.com story on KSR "Sculptures That Will Move You (Literally)" • read
- AAA World Magazine features a spotlight on Kinetic & pic of Dr. Vlad (p.28-29) • read
- WAMU 88.5 interviews the "Put a Lid On It" team of Takoma Park • listen
- City Paper's "Love is a Sea Monster" story on Kinetic vets Melissa & Phil Smith • read
- National Geographic's "Free Things To Do In Baltimore" lists Kinetic • read
- B The Site posts Kinetic vets Melissa & Phil Smith's Likes/Dislikes • read
- Baltimore Sun story "Baltimore Lab School Strikes Out On It's Own" • read
Thank you to our 2014 Kinetic sponsors:
Sponsor Next Year's Race!
Join the elite Kinetic Sculpture Race Sponsors! Contact Abby Baer, email@example.com or 410.244.1900 x247 for more info on Sponsorship opportunities.
Share your #Kinetic photos, video & more with us!
- FACEBOOK: Like AVAM & Friend FIFI the Pink Poodle
- INSTAGRAM: Follow the_avam & use the #Kinetic
- TWITTER: @TheAVAM
- FLICKR: TheAVAM' Photostream
- YOUTUBE: AVAM's Youtube Channel