Education Department Fall Intern
8/21/23, 8:45 PM
Reports directly to the Director of K-12 and Adult Education
The American Visionary Art Museum (AVAM) is the national repository for self-taught artistry and intuitive thinking. AVAM is dedicated to our Education Goals and inspiring visitors to seek their own creativity and recognize wonder in the world around them.
The American Visionary Art Museum (AVAM)’s Education Department is a fast-paced environment that manages all visiting groups, on-site educational programming, docents and outreach programming. The Education Department at AVAM is seeking an undergraduate student to assist with the daily operations of the Department and special projects and events.
Tasks will include following:
• Daily K-12 programming: prep, cleanup, and facilitation of K-12 student workshops
• Other educational programming: prep, cleanup, and possibly weekend programs
• Lesson & program planning: research upcoming exhibition & write one lesson plan and program plan
This internship is available to undergraduate students studying fine art, art history, art education, museum studies, arts administration, and students interested in pursuing a museum career.
The internship position will require approximately 15 hours a week which can be adjusted to best meet the student’s and the Department’s schedule. Start and end dates are flexible but will likely be mid-Sept through November. This position features a stipend, and course credit can be applied if appropriate.
• Internship will start the week of Sept 25th and end November 17th
• 15 hours per week ideally Wednesday, Thursdays, and Fridays
We will ask the intern to do the following over the course of 8 weeks:
• Shadow docent-led tours to learn the museums collection
• Assist with K-12 workshops in the AVAM classroom
• Create a scavenger hunt or themed docent tour
• Researching the upcoming exhibition and create a lesson plan inspired by that theme / artist / artwork
Internship candidates should have:
• Experience working with students/children
• Passion for the arts and/or arts education
• Strong ability to function as a team player in a fast-paced environment, but also able to work independently
• Helpful, friendly, positive attitude with an attention to detail
how to apply
Please submit the following to Beka Plum (email@example.com) by September 15, 2023:
• Resume detailing education and relevant work experience
• Cover letter describing internship and career goals