Kinetic Sculpture Race
Fifi braves the sand pit.
Congratulations to all the teams who participated in AVAM's 15th annual Kinetic Sculpture Race!
2013 RACE RESULTS
Congrats to all the winners & teams of the 15th Annual Kinetic Sculpture Race! Take a look at Kinetic Baltimore's Preliminary Race Results and see some amazing photos that Tom Jones & his fearless team took throughout the day. Complete race coverage will be out soon - Bookmark KineticBaltimore.com to stay in the loop.
BIG KINETIC NEWS!
We are so thrilled to share some amazing media coverage of our 2013 Kinetic Sculpture Race. Here are some links for you to share & enjoy:
- ABC News / Good Morning America.com: 15-Foot Pink Poodle Delivers Diamond Ring to Mud Pit Proposal by Eliza Murphy
- Baltimore Sun: Through mud, sand and water, kinetic sculpture racers go for glory by Ian Duncan
- Baltimore Sun.com: A kinetic proposal by L'Oreal Thompson
- Baltimore City Paper: 2013 Race Photos by Noah Scialom
- Baltimore Sun's The Dark Room Blog: 2013 Race Photos by Kenneth K. Lam
SHARE YOUR KINETIC PHOTOS, VIDEOS & MORE WITH US:
- FACEBOOK: Like AVAM & Friend FIFI the Pink Poodle
- INSTAGRAM: Follow the_avam & use #avamkinetic
- TWITTER: @TheAVAM
- FLICKR: TheAVAM' Photostream
- YOUTUBE: AVAM's Youtube Channel
ABOUT THE RACE
From THE AMERICAN VISIONARY ART MUSEUM–a race of wacky, imaginative, TOTALLY HUMAN-POWERED WORKS OF ART, DESIGNED TO TRAVEL ON LAND, THROUGH MUD, AND OVER DEEP HARBOR WATERS, constructed out of used bicycles, gears, and parts, created by a lunatic genius who tinkers around in the garage or backyard (do you know this person?)! The machines can be simple, small crafts, piloted by only one brave soul, or they can be over 50 feet long, extremely well-engineered, sophisticated vehicles powered by a team of pilots. Pilots ("Kinetinauts") compete for the most coveted award, THE GRAND EAST COAST NATIONAL MEDIOCRE CHAMPION (awarded to the vehicle that finishes right in the middle), and the highly prized NEXT TO THE LAST AWARD (finishes, well, next-to-last), and other serious trophies including ART, ENGINEERING, and more. Race starts at 10am at the American Visionary Art Museum (arrive early to take part in Opening Ceremony and Blessing of De Feet!). Other great spots to see the vehicles are the 1st checkpoint atop Federal Hill; the water entry at the Korean War Memorial Park in Canton; the uphill mud-pit in Patterson Park; the not-so-quick-sand pit in Patterson Park; and, of course, anywhere along the 15-mile route through Baltimore. For more information–including past race photos, inspiration, and a handy Spectator's Guide–visit http://kineticbaltimore.com.
Thank you to our 2013 Kinetic Sponsors!